Leipzig Is No Match For Man City, PSG

Ronaldo7September 15, 2021

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Often insulted by opposing teams because contrary to the tradition of German football, RB Leipzig is now in an awkward position not to be labeled a ‘bad boy’ in the deadly group match of the Champions League early this Thursday morning, Malaysian time.

Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain (PSG) will once again meet in Group A with the two teams backed by the rich Middle East still seeking Europe’s first crown.

Despite declining revenue due to the COVID-19 pandemic that closed the stadium more than a year ago and the failure of the European Super League project, Abu Dhabi-owned club City and Qatari-funded club PSG are among the most profitable.

They are now the new power of European football which has angered many other major teams that have become a tradition on the continent.

City only added one player but broke the English Premier League (EPL) record to get Jack Grealish from Aston Villa.

Sponsored by the energy drink brand, Red Bull, Leipzig is also an example of financial support that can be given to bring strength to the team.

The German team has yet to win a major trophy in their history but is less popular in their own country due to the ‘50 +1 ’rule to prevent individuals from holding a majority in club shares.

Red Bull, founded by Austrian millionaire Dietrich Mateschitz, owns 49 percent with the remaining 51 percent belonging to the company’s employees. However they have to match what City and PSG have based on different models.

Instead of seeing Bayern Munich style, Leipzig lost manager Julian Nagelsmann and key players Dayot Upamecano and Marcel Sabitzer to the Bundesliga champions this summer.

Instead, they used the advantages of clubs owned by Red Bull, Salzburg and New York to get the best players, developing them before selling them.

Categories